Our mission is to encourage and inspire young musicians in the East Valley by providing an uplifting and challenging orchestral experience under the guidance of skilled conductors and supportive parents.
The cost for the year, September through April, is $230 for Concert and Chamber Orchestra, and $250 for Symphony Orchestra. The cost for half the year, January through April is $150 for Concert and Chamber Orchestras and $165 for Symphony Orchestra.
This includes rehearsals and concerts. Payment can be made using one of the following methods:
• a. Write a check to East Valley Youth Symphony,
• b. Pay online using Visa or MasterCard using the PayPal payment system at www.evysaz.org. If paying online, please add a 3% service fee.
• c. We offer a payment program. Make contact with the President of the EVYS board if you would like to make arrangements to pay in three equal installments.
All students of elementary through high school age, who are able to perform the minimum audition requirements as stated on www.evysaz.org, are eligible to audition to become a member of EVYS.
As an EVYS member, students are required to participate in and support their school band or orchestra program.
Each member must have his/her school conductor sign a form showing participation. If your school does not offer band or orchestra during regular school hours, a school counselor may sign the release form indicating no program is available.
At the first rehearsal, the following items will be due for participation in EVYS to continue:
• a. Tuition. (Full payment or first installment payment)
• b. Member Contract – signed by musician and musician’s parent.
• c. School participation contract – signed by school teacher.
All eligible applicants will be auditioned by a fair and qualified adjudicator. Orchestra placement will be determined as a result of each student’s EVYS audition performance only.
Orchestra placement auditions will take place at the beginning of each school year. At the discretion of the conductor and EVYS board, additional orchestra placement auditions may be scheduled throughout the year. In rare circumstances, and by invitation only, adjustments may be made following the first concert.
Chair auditions for all orchestra members will be held prior to each concert. The conductor will determine the dates of chair auditions. Auditions will consist of current concert literature. Excerpts will be selected by either the conductor or the adjudicator.
Members absent for their chair audition forfeit their current ranking and will be placed last in their section. Exceptions for missed chair auditions due to school concerts may be arranged prior to chair audition date. Late chair auditions will not be given under any circumstances except those deemed extreme and excusable by the Board of Directors and/or conductor.
The conductor reserves the right to schedule additional chair auditions with any or no amount of notice at all — be prepared!
In order to maintain our high standard of performance, it is the policy of the EVYS Board of Directors that each member of East Valley Youth Symphony is expected to attend every EVYS rehearsal and performance.
Punctuality is of utmost importance. Musicians are required to be in their seats, with their music out, and their instruments tuned, at the rehearsal start time.
Absences due to a school concert, personal illness, or a family emergency are considered to be excused absences. We do realize our members might occasionally have a conflict with a scheduled rehearsal. Each of these occurrences will be reviewed on an individual basis. However, you must understand that recurring absences or tardies, though they may be excused, may result in a written warning, a request to play your music for your conductor, loss of chair, ineligibility to perform in a concert, or possible dismissal from EVYS.
Each and every absence, regardless of the reason, must be reported to your rehearsal aide through an absence request form. These forms can be found on the website at www.evysaz.org and must be submitted within 24 hours of the date in question.
V. Rehearsal Rules
• EVYS members will respect the property of rehearsal and concert facilities.
• Each member may bring a snack in a sealed container if desired. Food is not allowed to be eaten or opened in the rehearsal room. Water is the only allowed beverage.
• No running or rough play.
• Guard your instrument and do not play or tamper with anyone else’s instrument.
• Use and care for equipment appropriately, ie. do not lean on music stands or tilt back on chairs.
• Be courteous and respectful to your conductors and other EVYS employees and volunteers.
• No cell phone usage during rehearsals or concerts. Text messaging is specifically prohibited during these times.
• Be punctual and seated early for rehearsals, performances, and after breaks.
• Always bring your own music; don’t assume your stand partner will.
• Music should only be marked with light pencil markings. Do not use ink or colored pencils to mark EVYS music!
• Music must be returned at the specified time. Lost music will incur a replacement fee.
VI. Concert Conduct
Part of the EVYS experience is to learn proper concert etiquette as a musician and an audience member. Please show respect to all our musicians by turning off your electronic devices, and by remaining quietly in your seat during performances. Also show your support to all of our orchestras by staying through the end of the concert.
In the event that you must enter or exit the performance hall during a concert, kindly wait until the music has stopped to discreetly enter or exit.
VII. Concert Attire
In order to provide an atmosphere of professionalism and excellence the following attire will be required for concerts.
Girls: Long, black, ankle-length skirt: no denim and no slits; long-sleeved white blouse (cannot show cleavage, must cover elbows, and no T-shirts); black, closed-toe dress shoes and black nylons or tights. Bare legs and feet will not be allowed. Cellists only may wear dressy, long, black slacks: no denim.
Boys: Black dress slacks: no denim; long-sleeved, white, button-up dress shirt (worn tucked in); black bow tie, black shoes, black socks and black belt. Jackets for Symphony Orchestra only.
Concert dress will also need to be approved at the first dress rehearsal of the year for a “concert dress” check. Also, concert dress will be worn when group photos are taken.
Additionally, inappropriate and unapproved concert attire will not be allowed on the stage during a concert.
VIII. Parental Support
In order to accomplish the goals and aims of EVYS, each family is requested to donate service each season. If you have any specific talents or interests that would benefit EVYS, please contact a member of the EVYS board.
Opportunities to serve will be available and your assistance will be requested throughout the year.
Music is the universal language, and it is our desire to facilitate the learning of that important language in our society.
We believe that can be best accomplished by providing a nurturing environment of supportive parents, families, teachers, and communities.
IX. Additional Information
EVYS members’ photos may also be taken occasionally and published in EVYS-related publications such as brochures, newspaper articles, or www.evysaz.org. EVYS does not provide insurance for musical instruments.
Members are responsible to provide their own insurance against damage or theft as they may deem necessary.